The European Cycle Challenge 2017 is an urban cyclists’ team competition which aims at the promotion of sustainable mobility and the use of bicycle as a means of transportation, organised by SRM, the Public Transport Authority of Bologna. A Dublin team has been entered by the NTA
- To use the challenge as a tool to promote more people cycling, and more miles being cycled, in Dublin City and County;
- To compare and learn from this alternative approaches to a cycle challenge; and
- To benefit from raw GPS data re cycle movement in the Dublin County area at the end of the challenge by way of a heat map.
Key things to know about the Challenge
- The European Cycling Challenge 2017 – ECC2017 takes place from 1st to 31st May 2017.
- It is possible to join the Challenge until May 31st.
- A free App is provided for all individuals that sign up. Signing up for individuals is free.
- Dublin City and County border represent the Team, and individuals within that boundary that have signed up, track their bike-trips with the free App
- If you don’t have a smartphone, you can manually insert your bike-trips. It is possible to insert manually up to 6 trips per day.
- If you join to ECC2017 after May 1st, you can insert trips made during the previous days.
- All kinds of bicycle are allowed – owned or rented, bike-sharing, electric bicycles, cargo bike, etc.
- All trips made by bicycle are accepted if the bicycle is used as a means of transportation. For instance, trips to and from workplace or school, to shopping, to visit friends, to go to the cinema or to the swimming pool.
- Sport activities are not allowed.
- Trips with an average speed higher than 30 km/h AND a maximum speed higher than 45 km/h are not valid for the challenge, thus for the city leaderboard, but only for the statistical leaderboard. The same will be for trips longer than 35 km.
- It is possible to join a City Team if you live in the city or you travel to/from/across the city.
- In the "City Leaderboard " only the km of the part of the trip made within the borders will be counted. In the “Statistic Leaderboard” all km of any journey will be counted.
- It is possible to join only one City Team.
- It is possible to join a subteam for each category (companies, schools, groups).
- The only two official leaderboards are: the “City Leaderboard” and the “Best Cycling City Leaderboard”. All the other leaderboards have only a statistic meaning.