Coming to a town near you in 2015! Let’s Go Mental is a nationwide campaign to promote positive mental health in young people. This campaign has been developed by teenagers for teenagers and involves a series of 31 events in every local authority area to promote positive mental health through music, sport, the arts and other fun activities.
The Let’s Go Mental events are being organised and run by the 31 Comhairle na nÓg and will take place all over the country from May to October 2015. Click here for calendar of regional events:
The young people from the Comhairle na nÓg National Executive came up with the title and concept for Let’s Go Mental and developed a template for all 31 events, which is based on Headstrong’s ‘Five-a-Day for your Mental Health’: Connect, Be Aware, Get Moving, Give and Get Involved. These five concepts are evidence-based and are proven to have a positive impact on people’s mental health. See more info on this below.
• Connect: Reach out to others. Connect with family, friends and that ‘one good person’ in your life.
• Be Aware: Be curious of the wonders of the world around you. Be aware of yourself. Be mindful.
• Get Moving: Be physically active. Find an activity you enjoy and release those feel-good endorphins that improve your mood and mental health.
• Give: Do something nice for others or for your community. Volunteer. Give something back.
• Get Involved: Have a say in matters affecting you. Join clubs and groups. Make a contribution. Have a sense of purpose.